Each active ZOLEO subscription includes unlimited Check-Ins, so we hope you can use this tool to let people know that all is well when you need to. We'll review the following in this article:
What are Check-Ins?
Check-Ins are manual location updates sent with the ZOLEO App or the ZOLEO device.
- All ZOLEOs with an active subscription (Basic, In Touch, or Unlimited plan) have unlimited Check-Ins so they do not deplete your monthly message allotment.
- The Check-Ins can be sent to up to 5 Check-In contacts you manage on your MyZOLEO portal. Please note this cannot be done on the ZOLEO App.
- This article guides you on how to manage your ZOLEO's Check-In Contacts: What are ZOLEO contacts? How do I add Check-In and SOS Contacts?
- Check-Ins can be sent to contacts using multiple methods: either by SMS (text message); Email, both SMS & Email, or by ZOLEO App.
- A Check-In message says "I'm OK. My Location is..." with a link to a map where your contacts can navigate to by selecting it. Check-in messages also include the battery life (in %) for both the ZOLEO device user and ZOLEO app recipients.
- On SMS and email recipients, this usually opens Google Maps
- For ZOLEO App recipients, the map can be viewed within the ZOLEO App (see screenshots below).
Sending a Check-In
You can send Check-Ins in two ways:
- Using the ZOLEO App
- Using the ZOLEO Device
Send a Check-In with the ZOLEO App
To send a check-in while you're on the ZOLEO App, be sure the following apply:
- The ZOLEO Device is powered on with a clear view of the sky.
- The ZOLEO App is actively linked, displaying the Weather and SOS functions at the bottom of the app screen.
- If you see Weather and SOS, navigate to the Chats screen (the bottom left icon on the ZOLEO app) if you're not there already.
- To send a Check-In, touch the Check-In button at the top of the screen; the button is a green rectangle with a white check mark inside.
- The Check-In will begin sending, and the ZOLEO will make a tone and show flashing green lights on the LEDs going clockwise while sending. It will repeat the initial tone three times and stop flashing once successfully sent.
- This will update the Check-In & Location Share+ thread in your Chats on your ZOLEO App, so you can see the Check-In there.
- If the ZOLEO Check-in LED lights up amber, this means the Check-In failed. You can send another one again. The ZOLEO device will only attempt to send a check-in message for 7-10 minutes before it expires.
Send a Check-In with the ZOLEO Device
To send a Check-In from the ZOLEO:
- Power the ZOLEO on; you should see a flashing light on the Power LED at the bottom right corner of the ZOLEO.
- NOTE: this works whether connected to the ZOLEO App or not.
- Press the Check-In button for a moment.
- NOTE: do not press and hold the Check-in button; doing so will result in attempting to start a Location Share+ session; If you don't have Location Share+; it will result in nothing happening (i.e. you will not see green lights flashing).
- Once pressed, the ZOLEO will make a tone and show flashing green lights on the LEDs going clockwise while sending. It will repeat the initial tone three times and stop flashing when done.