This article reviews what Location Share+ (which we may refer to as LS+) is and how it works to automatically update your close contacts with your location while you're on the go. This article reviews the following (you can click on these topics to go to the section):
- What is Location Share+?
- How does Location Share+ work?
- What do I see in the ZOLEO app?
- What do my check-in contacts see when receiving location updates?
- How to add Location Share+
- Adding Location Share+ during activation
- Adding Location Share+ after activation
What is Location Share+?
Location Share+ is an optional monthly add-on feature. During and after a session, LS+ provides a map view (or a 'breadcrumb trail') of locations sent automatically at a selected interval to your ZOLEO's assigned Check-in Contacts. This contacts will need the ZOLEO App to receive notifications.
You can also view the sessions on your own ZOLEO App and via your MyZOLEO account portal.
NOTE: This is not a GPS function where it can provide directions, but rather an automated way of sending updates to your contacts and keep track of your travels.
How does Location Share+ work?
The following is required to use LS+:
- An active ZOLEO on a Basic, In Touch, or Unlimited plan with the Location Share+ feature add-on
- Up to 5 check-in contacts who have the ZOLEO App
- Can be used with the ZOLEO device alone, or via the ZOLEO App
- A clear view of the sky with the ZOLEO device when using satellite network
What do I see in the ZOLEO app?
You will see an icon with a location pin on the Chats screen and in the Check-In and Location Share+ thread, as well as some additional settings and the ability to download offline maps in the ZOLEO app.
Tapping the location-sharing icon presents options for controlling your location-sharing session, starting and stopping your session, setting your update interval, and more.
Once a location-sharing session has started, you can view your progress and location details in the Check-In & Location Share+ thread. Tapping the map tile presents your location details in the form of a breadcrumb trail on a map and you can begin scrolling through each of the crumbs in the trail. Each breadcrumb is numbered and includes GPS location coordinates in the format of latitude/longitude, your battery life at the moment the update was sent, and a timestamp so it's easy for you and your check-in contacts to follow the path traveled.
To learn more about using Location Share+ with the ZOLEO app, click here.
Automatically start Location Share+
ZOLEO device users can now use the ZOLEO app to set the ZOLEO device to automatically start a new Location Share+ session when the ZOLEO device is powered on.
Automatically starting Location Share+ avoids users from having to manually start location sharing (using the app or via the device) and no longer relies on users to remember doing so. Once enabled, simply power on the ZOLEO to begin sending location updates.
ZOLEO device users can access the feature from within the Location Share+ menu. The Location Share+ menu is accessible from the Chats tab, the “Check-In and Location Share+” thread, and from the Settings menu under “Check-In, Location & Settings”.
To enable the feature, app users must be connected to a ZOLEO device using the latest device software version, 5.0-0.
Once the ‘Start automatically’ toggle has been enabled, users will be prompted to “Start Location Share+ now?” providing the opportunity to immediately begin sending location updates. Selecting ‘No’ will enable the feature but will not begin sending location updates until the next time the device is powered on.
Note: The Location Share+ update interval set in the app applies when Location Share+ is automatically started.
Also included is the ability to manage and download offline maps. Downloading offline maps for your destination makes it possible to view your location updates on a map in the ZOLEO app while in remote areas where internet connectivity is not available. It’s important to download offline maps for upcoming destinations before leaving for travel. This will ensure that map data is available to you regardless of coverage.
To learn more about using offline maps, click here.
ZOLEO uses Mapbox Outdoors for mapping location updates in the ZOLEO app. Mapbox Outdoors is a topographic map with curated tilesets and specialized styling tailored to hiking, biking, and the most adventurous use cases. More on Mapbox Outdoors can be found here.
What do my check-in contacts see when receiving location updates?
Your check-in contacts will see location updates very similar to how you do in the ZOLEO app. When a location sharing session has started and location updates are sent at regular intervals, your recipients will receive new message notifications via the ZOLEO app containing automatic location updates and will be displayed using a breadcrumb trail on a map. Recipients can view the progress by scrolling through each of the numbered, easy-to-follow breadcrumbs in the trail, pan/zoom the map and view your location information in detail.
Recipients also get some additional convenience controls for filtering messages and managing notifications for new location updates.
For more information on receiving Location Share+ updates from ZOLEO users, click here.
How do I add Location Share+?
Location Share+ can be added during activation or if you’ve already activated your device, it can be added using your ZOLEO online account.
Adding Location Share+ during activation:
- Start by adding a device and picking a monthly service plan. On the next screen, you’ll be presented with the option to add a feature.
- To add the feature, simply select the Location Share+ option (bottom right) and continue with your activation.
- Once you have completed your activation, visit the Devices and Plans in our online account to select the default interval and finish setting up Check-In contacts for your device.
Adding Location Share+ after activation:
- Login to your ZOLEO online account and navigate to the Devices & Plans page.
- Select the Manage features tab on the desired ZOLEO device.
- Under Location Share+, use the drop-down menus to set your default automatic location update interval and choose if you would like to have your update interval locked from being changed in the ZOLEO app.
- When ready, press the Add+ button and a confirmation prompt will be displayed. Press Confirm to continue. The Location Share+ feature will be added to your monthly plan and the feature will become available in the ZOLEO app connected to your device.
For further assistance with adding Location Share+ to your monthly service plan, click here.