You may be curious to know how SOS alerting works on your ZOLEO device and app -- you might even be tempted to test it. Before you do, please follow these instructions to avoid creating a false alarm!
Rest assured that SOS alerting using the ZOLEO device and app have been comprehensively tested by ZOLEO Inc. and by GEOS, our SOS monitoring partner. However, if you do want to test SOS alerting, it’s vital that it be pre-arranged.
Scheduling a Test SOS Alert
It is easy to pre-schedule a test with International Emergency Response Coordination Center (IERCC) at GEOS, the private company that monitors SOS alerts initiated from your device and coordinates Search and Rescue missions. Just follow these instructions:
- Fill in the Scheduled Test form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org for approval.
- List any instructions that you’d like IERCC to follow in the “Additional test instructions" field.
- Wait for email confirmation of your test request from the IERCC (this usually happens within one (1) business day).
Note: Only proceed with this section once you've received email confirmation of your test request from the GEOS IERCC and ensure these steps are followed at the authorized time..
- At the time of the test, be sure the ZOLEO device has a clear view of the sky.
- Activate the SOS on the device or via the app.
- Once the IERCC receives the alert, a message will be sent to confirm that they received the test SOS activation. If the SOS was initiated from the ZOLEO device an ascending tone and the LEDs will confirm your SOS (reference page 15 of the Quick Start Guide). If your SOS was initiated from the app, you will also receive a confirmation message in the ZOLEO app (to which you can reply).
- The IERCC will contact you at the number provided on the test request form to discuss the test and answer any questions you may have.
- Cancel the SOS once the test is complete. To do this, press and hold the SOS button for five (5) seconds (on either the device or app). An ascending tone will confirm the cancellation has been successfully sent.