To get the most out of Location Share+, use your ZOLEO device with a connected ZOLEO app. This will provide you with the ability to control location sharing sessions, change the automatic location update interval, configure additional settings, and most importantly, view your location updates on a detailed topographic map (provided by Mapbox Outdoors).
Note: You must be subscribed to the Location Share+ feature add-on in order for these instructions to apply. For more information on Location Share+ click here, or to add the Location Share+ feature add-on to your monthly plan click here.
First, let’s get acquainted with the Location Share+ menu options.
1. Open the ZOLEO app on your smartphone or tablet.
2. On the Chats tab, at the top of the screen (to the left of the Check-In button) you will see the Location Share+ button (blue location pin icon).
3. Tap the Location Share+ button and the following options will be presented:
Location Share+ Session – This toggle is used to start and stop automatic location sharing sessions. Set the toggle to on to start a session, and off to stop a session.
Location Share+ Update Interval – This menu is used to set the interval that your automatic location updates will be sent to your check-in contacts.
Location Share+ Update Tone – This toggle is used to turn the audible tones on and off that are generated by the ZOLEO when sending location updates at regular intervals. Audible tones will still be generated when starting and stopping a session.
Location Share+ No Movement Updates – This toggle is used to update your check-in contacts when there has not been any movement greater than 50 meters and prevents automatic location updates from being sent while in the same location.
To start a Location Share+ automatic location sharing session
1. Tap the Location Share+ button.
2. Ensure your Location Share+ Update Interval is set to the desired interval.
3. Tap the Location Share+ Session toggle to turn it on.
4. A positive audible tone will be emitted from the ZOLEO device and the LEDs will begin to spin green. This means your first automatic location update is in progress.
5. Once your automatic location update has been successfully sent, your device will emit the successfully sent audible tone and the Check-In LED will begin to double flash. This indicates that an automatic location-sharing session is active.
6. Next, the Check-In & Location Share+ conversation thread will appear on the Chats tab. Here you will see all of your sent automatic location updates and check-in messages.
Note: If an automatic location-sharing session is active for longer than 12 hours, the ZOLEO app will alert you and prompt to Stop or Continue. A courtesy reminder is provided in the app in case you have forgotten the feature is turned on.
Viewing Location Share+ automatic location updates on a map
1. Navigate to the Chats tab.
2. Tap on the Check-In & Location Share+ conversation thread.
3. Your most recent automatic location update (or check-in message) will appear using a map tile and include your location coordinates.
4. Tap on the map tile and a detailed map displaying all of the location updates for your current Location Share+ session will appear. Location updates are viewed by session, so if you would like to view breadcrumb details from a prior session, scroll up in the thread and select an automatic location update from an earlier day or time.
Important: Offline maps are also available for download for use in remote areas. It is highly recommended to download offline maps for your destination before leaving for travel. This will ensure that maps are available to you when no internet connectivity is available. For more information on managing and downloading offline maps, click here.
5. Use the arrows ( < | > ) to navigate the breadcrumb trail and view the location details for each point. Each breadcrumb is numbered so it’s easy for you and your check-in contacts to follow the path travelled. You can also collapse the breadcrumb details section exposing more of the map for greater visibility.
Tip: Press and hold the location coordinates in the breadcrumb details section to copy your coordinates for use in messages and other apps, or tap the location pin to view the coordinates using your phone native mapping app.